Welcome to Briance Sud Haute-Vienne tourism
A village with character – deep in the Limousin countryside, St Germain-Les-Belles is at the centre of a welcoming commune with a history: of the visit by Henri IV, the times spent here by Simone de Beauvoir, and of more recent years.
The Bourg, with its medieval origins, is overlooked by a XIVth century fortified church. Built during the Hundred Years’ War, by Cardinal Hugues Roger (brother of the Limousin pope, Clément VI), its system of defence is, in many ways, similar to that of the palais des Papes in Avignon.
We can offer guided visits of the fortifications - with access to the inside of the donjon (strong-point), the look-out points, and the sentry-walk which offers panoramic views of the surrounding area.
Of the medieval castle, there remains the square donjon (keep) dating from the XIIth century. This tower, situated close to the church, is called ‘des barris’: during the French Revolution it served as a prison.
There are other places to visit: Montréal, with its lake for bathing, fishing, and walking round, and children’s playgrounds; the Pierre-Brune fountain; the lavoir (formerly for the communal washing of clothes); the railway viaduct dating from 1860; and ramblers’ paths.
Official website of the municipality of Saint Germain Les Belles : http://www.saint-germain-les-belles.fr/
2 place de la bascule
Tel : 05 55 00 89 91
Place du 8 mai 1945
Tel : 05 55 00 94 33
Avenue du Remblai
Tel : 05 55 71 88 65
We find on Facebook
Follow us on TwitterFlux RSS
GéoCulture - Le Limousin vu par les artistes
Community of the communesof Briance Sud Haute-Vienne
Copyright Office de Tourisme Briance Sud Haute-Vienne - By Kaliop
plan du site - Vous pouvez saisir des liens ici